Mr McGinty To You

Browsing through the Perth Magic Millions Yearling catalogue, I saw something I hadn't seen before - a horse in-bred to McGinty. Lot 650, yearling by McFlirt-Macular, 3f x 3f McGinty.

Obviously I haven't been paying attention as this mare has had two previous full siblings to this filly, and for all I know McFlirt might have served others with McGinty in the pedigree.

I was involved in managing McGinty's stud career for 10 years. He was a charismatic individual, brainier than most of us who worked on the place. I have only two portraits of horses hanging in my apartment, McGinty is one of them, such is the respect I have for him. He wasn't as small as people wanted him to be, about 15.3, and his handsome features were almost Arab-like. McGinty won six G1s, in two of which he set records - though he was fine-boned and turned out in front he adored hard tracks. These G1 wins were all after fracturing his leg as a two-year-old in Sydney the week before the Golden Slipper. In my capacity as representative of the International Racing Bureau, I sent McGinty to Japan to contest the third-ever Japan Cup (1983) when that race was a big deal on the world scene. The 2400m distance was beyond his best but he still ran fifth, Bob Vance in the saddle, beaten only 1.1 lengths.

McGinty did an OK job as a sire, 4.6% of his foals became stakeswinners which is respectable, but he's been a weak broodmare sire with just 1.6% stakeswinners-to-foals from his daughters.
One thing he was really good at was leaving his own type - almost prepotent. I don't intend going to Perth but if anyone sees Lot 650 I'd be interested to know what a horse in-bred to him looks like.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

mfccvMcginty had a heart score of 103 hence his departure from the Osullivan stable as a youngster perhaps he passed on this trait and the fillies he sired also have a peanut for a pump

Anonymous said...

Heart score? Haven't heard that term for 20 years. Are they still taken after mistakes like that? I thought there were so many good horses with 'low heart scores' that they threw it out the window as a guide. But I understand what you're saying about attributing his lack of success as a broodmare sire, some of these freaky 'out of nowhere horses' don't seem to cut it, it's an interesting subject. I marketed Honor Grades in the early '90s on the strength of Marianne Haun's X Factor work, and that was well received by breeders at the time (Honor Grades was an under-rated shuttler). This far out, I wasn't aware McGinty been to O'Sullivans. I thought Les Jarvis had him as a baby then Jillings. If Keith Haub's listening, tell us the story.

Anonymous said...

Heart score! what ever its called means nothing, any insight into the way a horse functions especially the cardio vascular system helps. the only mistakes are made by the people the animal comes into contact with ,lucky McGinty encountered a man at the top end of the thinking trainers list

Anonymous said...

If McGinty was at O'Sullivan's, you don't think he was a man at the top end of the thinking trainers' list? Let's Elope was sold out of that stable but for reasons other than a low heart score, I suspect.

Anonymous said...

I dont think the O,sullivans got to do much thinking about the horse, he was a runt and i guess he did not stack up in Jim Marks book, at that time the heart machine found its way up most stable driveways in Matamata. Lets Elope probably bled before she embarked on the embarrasing sequence of sucess in Melbourne.

Anonymous said...

Lots of speculation here. We need the facts.

Anonymous said...

Yeah your probably right

Regards Dave Stenning

Anonymous said...

I was only a young girl who loved horses, when i first saw mcginty at stud in auckland nz. I now live in australia. Don't care what crap you say about him, he was an inspiration to me, and only deepened my love of horses all the more. He was a success in every way! He captured my heart, and i will always remember him. I'm so sad he died, but glad he died doing what he loved, running. Love you forever mcginty!! I Would love a photo or image of him, lost the only 1 i had.