Dederang Here I Come

Saturday I head south for a family holiday in Melbourne. Admit it Sydneysiders, if Melbourne had your climate everyone would want to live there. I'm hoping to reach north-east Victoria early Saturday afternoon for the Dederang Picnic Races, 55 kms south east of Albury along the Kiewa Valley Highway, next stop Mt Beauty.

The six race card has attracted only 31 acceptors. They run three distances at Dederang, 1000m, 1350m and 1650m. The 1000m record is shown as 58.4 secs held by Little Barney (General Monash) set in 2006, though the distance that day is recorded as 1050m, but what's 50m amongst friends? The Dederang Cup, 1650m, $2,100, has five acceptors with three closely matched form runners in the shape of Esceegee (topical name with the Test being played at present) carrying 71.5 kgs, Forest Dash 65.5 kgs and Satdies 'n Sundies 63.5 kgs.

Driving around regional Australia is a favourite pastime, the back roads and the wide vistas do it for me. I'll gladly give up a day at Randwick (can't hear the commentaries anyway) or Rosehill for a day at the bush sports. This is a most beautiful part of the country. They make a seriously good drop of cool climate wine in this valley, too. I intend doing a refresher course on Saturday night and if it's still as good as the last tasting I'll let you into the secret.

No comments: