Facts And Figures From Blogsville

How many people, on a world scale, do you think are interested in thoroughbred racing? If Googling through Blogspot (the platform this blog's built on) is anything to go by, we're very much in a tiny minority.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of blogs built on Blogspot. When I searched for bloggers who listed thoroughbred racing as one of their interests in their profiles, there were just 37, split 33 based in USA and 4 based in Australia.

When I searched for craps there were 89 results! Leave that to your imagination.

When I searched for horse racing it came up with 774 devotees. When I searched for just horses there were 12,000 bloggers identified. Thousands of Velvet Browns and Thelwell pony owners amongst that lot.

Beer came up with 11,900, which I thought was surprisingly low, crocheting 6,800, scrapbooking 31,400, golf 33,400 and fishing 33,500.

Thoroughbred breeding came up with just 2 - and I'm one of them. The other guy's blog is all about cricket. I thought talking to myself was a sign of old age.

I might try sex next - there's got to be a first time - and see how many are interested in that. For the sake of the future of humanity, I hope more than thoroughbred breeding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance is a group committed to thoroughbred racing and breeding - they are mostly based in the USA:
http://thoroughbredbloggersalliance.blogspot.com/

In Australia Jane Henning has a blog attached to her website: http://www.pedigree-dynamics.com.au/blog/blog.html.

Byron Rogers' site The Pedigree Guru became the longest running blog after Katrina Partridge's Thoroughbred Marketing: An Eye on the Industry blog [http://www.athloneassociates.com/btm/blog.html] shut down in 2006.

There are various race club blogs in existence as well - The Kentucky Derby had one this year and the Dubai Racing Club have one that now goes year round not just during the International Carnival/World Cup.

Anonymous said...

Good info. I'm familiar with some of these. I presume they're among the 811 (37 + 774) who list 'thoroughbred racing' or 'horse racing' as an interest. But that's still only 12% of those interested in crocheting. Bit of a worry!