Shopping In New Zealand

I'll probably have a more detailed look at the NZ yearling sales in a later post but although you must deduct a percentage from the sales figures for the usual "bullshit factor" the sales were healthy to say the least.

It's been going on since the dawn of time but the yearling sales figures proudly broadcast afterwards in the PR releases are exaggerations of where the true market is at. You have to make allowance for the retained percentages, buy-backs, sold-but-not-solds, some blatantly manufactured prices and all the customary smoke-and-mirrors which go on.

My shopping over there, with a modest budget as the sale unfolded, was confined to finding two potential middle distance colts. Eventually heading to a Melbourne stable is Lot 190, High Chaparral-Kaapentyne, by Kaapstad (NZ$260,000; his half-sister won a stakes earlier this week) whilst destined for Sydney is Lot 625, Golan-Double Owe, by Oregon (NZ$60,000). Don't expect to see either of these before they turn three.

It's now two years since I left behind the heady Waterhouse days when we not only bought a pile of good ones but for a variety of reasons also didn't buy a number we had clearly identified as superior. You never forget those! Since then, as a freelancer, I've bought only a small number of yearlings because I only have a small number of clients, which is the way I prefer it. My service to some clients is purely advisory rather than standing in the bidding for them. One such client spent $1.7 million on two 'approved' yearlings in 2007 (now 2YOs).

The oldest purchases are three-year-olds whose careers in the main have been stalled by the EI outbreak. Two who have recently got back to the track are Gently Bentley (Flying Spur-Tambara, by Thunder Gulch - Magic Millions 2006) and Scouting Wide (Zabeel-Gardd, by Sheikh Albadou - Karaka 2006) who should have won on debut at Randwick yesterday.

I also selected for a Melbourne client the Snowland filly Absolut Glam ($150,000 Magic Millions 2006), a smart filly which won first-up in black-type company in Melbourne in late January. To relate here the story of why the client is not racing that filly today would probably put me in jeopardy of the libel laws, but suffice to say she is not, nor has she bought a horse since.

I've had a fairly ordinary run so far with a group of fillies I bought, but those I have been underbidder on have done great!! I need a bit of luck, like in 1986 when I purchased future topline racemare Courtalista for just NZ$5,500, or I need Patinack Farm Mk II.

Anybody else do any shopping at Karaka?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, can I respectfully ask what you thought of the Bachelor Duke progeny?

STEVE BREM said...

He only had four colts in the Premier Sale, which I looked at, whereas he had a dozen or so in the Select Sale but they were outside my brief so I didn't view them critically. I was quite happy with the colts I saw in the Premier, and they were bought by some sharp judges. Lot 107 ex Fairy Lights was probably my pick, a neat colt but he had quality and moved well. I thought he had quite a lot of his damsire Fairy King about him, and of course the cross with Fairy King looks interesting on paper. I have always liked the progeny of his dam, Fairy Lights, and what a handy mare she's turned out to be. This colt's close relative, Lot 106, was a strong, good sort, somewhat heavier, perhaps the Gold Brose influence. Paul Moroney bought Lot 345, also a nice type; I sold both it's grandam Makepeace and her half-brother Full And By as yearlings. In comparison, Lot 383 seemed cheap at only $47,500; he was short in stature, quite compact but tidy enough. It's easy to say now but I liked what I saw of the Bachelor Dukes more than what I first saw of the Traditionallys. I went to Kentucky in the '90s to try and arrange the shuttle of Traditionally's older brother Miner's Mark (stood at Lane's End) but I took an instant dislike to the horse and didn't pursue him. He was a disaster.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve
Being a hobby breeded (with one mare and four yearlings sold at various sales), based on point/s made in your second paragraph, could you help me go to the next sale with my eyes opened as to the tricks of the trade.

STEVE BREM said...

It's based on a career of getting to know the participants, knowing their inter-relationships, watching/knowing what they do and tying all the ends together. The average observer just accepts what it says in the press releases as being gospel, what else can he do? I just try and prevent my clients from getting caught up in it - my job is to save them money.